Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wait, what?

So I guess there's this series of biographical comics about, like, women or something. It's called The Female Force - which really makes me think it ought to be a bit more action-adventury (c'mon, Clinton would so whoop Lex Luthor's ass) and a bit less... um. Boring?

'Sup?

Actually, I haven't read them. I'd never even heard of them until AfterEllen did an article about them today, even though apparently Bluewater (a company I'd never heard of until today, that seems to specialize in this kind of comic... there's a Michael Jackson tribute coming in October) has been publishing them since October of last year.

Apparently they're getting a lot of press.

Huh.

I mean, cool?

I don't know. Biographical comics are... neat? Woo for getting the details of these (arguably) strong and (definitely) powerful women out to the people who... read... comics.

I'm really curious, though. Who's buying these? How's the art? (The covers don't impress me much.) Which details are left out? Which are left in? Why Barbara Walters? Does Michelle Obama really have superpowers? Is Oprah the real Emperor of the Known Universe? Sarah Palin? Really?

And what would Christna Romer (oh yeah, who's the feminist political geek now, hmmmm?) think about me spending $3.99 for a graphical representation of a fraction of the information available for free at my local library/on the internet?

Has anyone read these? What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Surprisingly women are purchasing these. I own a Comic Book store and we did not carry these until we received calls from women requesting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention I personally have not had a chance to read them but just glancing through them they seem to be standard Biographies and they are not as exciting as the title may imply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention I personally have not had a chance to read them but just glancing through them they seem to be standard Biographies and they are not as exciting as the title may imply.

    ReplyDelete