Friday, July 10, 2009

Escape to Wednesday (Comics)

This week has been a bad week for me. Work, apartment, life in general... it's got me down. And during a particularly bad moment last night, it was said to me that you have to focus on the good things, even if those good things are little.

And, oddly, I thought about comics.

Huh.

I mean, I'm not completely insane. I also thought about my friends, video games, family, the occasional good meal, the (finally) beautiful weather, the upcoming All-Star game, my tickets to see the Red Sox at the end of the month, et cetera et cetera.

But also comics.

I haven't really felt that way about comics in a long time.

What a perfect time for Wednesday Comics to come along. One page spreads of old-school style comic storytelling. My first comics were in the newspapers, not the books. (I was a Heathcliff fan myself. Eff Garfield.)

And even though I wasn't around during the golden age (or even the silver age, I guess), there's something awesome about opening up some newspaper grade paper and reading about superheroes being superheroy. Even if there's more modern art (I'm not sure wtf is happening with Wonder Woman, but I think I like it), it still makes me feel like a kid again. It's nice to feel like a kid again, because kids don't have jobs (or... shouldn't), kids don't worry about rent or health insurance, and on beautiful summer days, kids run around the yard and climb trees and scrape knees and don't sit in little offices with no windows.

Okay, that's enough of that. (My other two pulls this week were Red Robin #2 a.k.a. the Emo Quest and Green Lantern #43 a.k.a. gory death drawn beautifully. So I'll stick with WC for my happy thoughts, thanks.)

I thought Wednesday Comics was great, and great fun. For nostalgia if nothing else (and there was plenty else to love; though the stories are hard to call at this point, I'm loving the various art styles). I read someone somewhere (brains no worky) saying they hope this becomes a summer tradition. I couldn't agree more.


No comments:

Post a Comment