Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday Wednesday

Going to the comic, for me, is not a weekly thing. There aren't really enough titles that I actually collect (as opposed to vaguely following via blogs and other internet sources) and as much as I enjoy my comic shop, the closest one isn't in the most convenient location ever (in the sense that I have to pay for parking, which I hate, and deal with people in Brookline, which I hate even more).

I don't think I've been in a comic shop on a Wednesday in years. But today I went, because I happened to be working from home today, and had a free chunk just before noon. I went to go buy Flash Rebirth #2, and ended up with a lot more than that. But I was catching up!

(This is what I tell myself.)

So, here's what I picked up today:
Exiles 1,2,3 - I didn't even know there'd been an Exiles relaunch (I still like typing it eXiles, but I also am a fan of the movie eXistenZ, which I recommend to anyone that enjoys science fiction, gaming, and/or The Matrix). I initially read the Exiles for the lesbian Sunfire (who, as with most lesbians in fiction, died - but at least she didn't get pregnant or go psychotic!), fell off after that, and then was done. Or so I thought. But a friend mentioned it to me this morning when I told her I was going to the shop, so I looked... and saw a majority-female team with alternate versions of both Polaris and the Scarlet Witch. Sold!

Final Crisis Revelations 4,5 - Yeah yeah, I'm behind. I'm sort of annoyed that NEC didn't have the last two issues of the main Final Crisis title, but hey. I'll take my Montoya any way I can get her.

Power Girl 1 - Power Girl's back, ad the cover is... well, she's still got those same attributes I remember her having. My thing with Power Girl is that 1) she's Supergirl, so I'm down and 2) more often than not, despite having a gigantic, Marvel-sized chest, the rest of her isn't usually drawn is ridiculously skinny (hey there, Kara Zor-El, Emma Frost, etc. etc.). And I like the chance to get into a series on the ground floor.

(Look! She has thighs!)

Superman 688 (World Without Superman 27) - I bought this for two reasons. One: the art (I'm easy, and I really like this style). Two: Caleb Mozzocco wrote about the art in his own weekly haul round up last week, and it inspired me to give it a look. Sometimes art can make me pick up a title I wouldn't normally pick up (though I love Superman, keeping up gives me a headache). Some of my favorite art, actually, was from Flash: Fastest Man Alive, particularly #3 (was that Demeo?) and Frank Quietly's style, especially in that All Star Superman run. (On a quasi-related note, I love anything Peter Chung does in animation. Anything. Even weird Animatrix shorts that make no sense.)

New Mutants 1 - Thought I'd give it a try. I've never been super into the various mutant teams (besides Generation X and the Exiles) but, hey. Ground floor opportunity again.

Blackest Night 0 - Yeah, free comic book day, woo. Unfortunately now I'm interested in how this "event" that will change the DCU unfolds, so I'm going to have to keep on top of that. Fortunately there's a check list in the back. Way to advertise, DC. Also, the idea of a Violet Love Corps (the Star Sapphires) made up of only females is both hilarious and offensive to me. I know they're not new, but they're new to me.



I'm excited to see this stuff play out. I've actually already read this, and it was a nice way to jump back into JLA/DCU stuff without having had to read the death of Batman or the Martian Manhunter or Aquaman (seriously, guys, wtc, Dweller in the Depths).

Flash Rebirth 2 - the whole reason I went to the store. Wally West was my first first Flash, Bart Allen is m favorite Speedster, but I still find the event exciting. And I like Geoff Johns.

Oh, I also picked up the TP of Identity Crisis. Because, that's why.

I've got some reading to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment