Thursday, June 25, 2009

Redo!

Fantastic Fangirls' most recent Q&A asked:

What comics story do you want reimagined or covered, and by whom?

I'm reprinting my answer here, possibly with a few more details, definitely with some pictures, because... it's my blog and I'll do what I want to. You would cry to if it - oh, wait.

Just a small music tangent: Lesley Gore's iconic songs, "It's My Party" and "You Don't Own Me" were given an extra layer of interestingness (flickr invented that word, don't blame me) when she came out as a lesbian in 2005, and said she'd been gay since her late teens. Seriously, go check out those lyrics.

Anyway, my answer!


I'd like to see someone redo Camelot 3000. I really enjoy the idea of the story, but the 80s' idea of the future is... laughable now. I didn't read it until about six months ago, and the art and story both seem dated. I feel like a modern writer/artist team could give it a spin that just feels more correct and holds up better with time. I love retro-future ideas, but most of the ones from that decade just don't hold as well as the ones written in the 50s and 60s. I liked the struggle of the knights to find themselves in the 40th century, but I didn't feel like the 40th century reflected well enough on the 20th century that the writers were coming from.

As for that writer/artist team. Hm. I'm currently enamored with Greg Rucka and Gail Simone. I think Rucka does really interesting things with mythological constructs (I'm basing this on the Crime Bible stuff) and I just like the way Gail Simone thinks about and writes comics (there's a great interview with her on AfterEllen that really piqued my interest in her writing) and I think between them they could put out a good story with interesting characters and a good adapted mythos. I will absolutely admit to mainly wanting to see the Tristan/Isolde story retold by a modern writer, but the rest of it would be great, too. Also, maybe we could ignore the tired old Arthur/Guinevere/Lancelot thing. Granted, the resolution in the original was fairly cutting edge, but I think by the 40th century they could just all get together and be happy.

Another tangent: David Franzoni's/Anton Fuqua's weird-but-enjoyable (Sarmatians? Really?) take on Arthur, the one that finally had a Celtic warrior woman (who needed a sandwich, but still), did a good modern twist on that triangle, making it Arthur and Lancelot who were the unrequieted tragic lovers. Not, like, on screen (because Heaven forfend men be in love in an action movie), but the undercurrents were pretty clear. To me. And even if they weren't, Lancelot was very obviously more interested in Arthur than Guinevere.

And artists, hmmmmm. I know less about artists. I really enjoy the more realistic style of Stuart Immomen, whom I recently discovered, and I think it would work well for that kind of story. Also a cover or two by Alex Ross would be iconic and amazing.

That art as it is is... well. Dark and strange. With odd detailing and accents. I'm sure it was very good for its time, but it's definitely not a style I enjoy. It reminds me of Heavy Metal and Ralph Bakshi settings. I don't like Ralph Bakshi settings, because they do the dark-and-bright-at-the-same-time thing in a strangely surreal way that removes me from the story. Seriously, have you seen War Wizards? WTF. I guess it has its place in fantasy (and I certainly like surreal artists like Peter Chung, so maybe it's more that I prefer surreality in science fiction over fantasy) but I'd rather see Camelot 3000 done with a more realistic, modern bent.

Besides Stuart Immomen, I also enjoy the artist doing Batwoman on Detectice Comics right now, JH Williams. Like I said before, I like his noir style. And while Kate Kane may be a bit vampiric, he's certainly capable of adding pigment to people, so I think that'd be fine. A neo-noir Arthurian story would be sort of cool, really. Like Blade Runner meets Sin City meets, well. King Arthur.

So that's my personal answer. I was an Arthurian geek before I was ever a comic geek.

abtkcn92z6

6 comments:

  1. I love Arthurian legend. I’ve a bias for The Once and Future King -- I adore the characterization, particularly Lancelot (I wrote an article about Anakin Skywalker’s similarities to White’s Lancelot once). But I especially like the idea of a historically accurate/”real” Camelot – Arthur as a retired roman general – and that Kong Arthur was closest. I remember seeing the prevues and being excited for it, and then, inevitably being disappointed, but I agree that Keira’s Gwen was a good take on it.

    As for your main point (haha), I have not read Camelot 3000 (and I have odd visions of Cleopatra 2525 which I presume are not applicable!!) but I like the idea as sold here. A neo-noir Arthurian story set in the future and written by Gail Simone??? SIGN ME UP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anika Have you read Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle? It's good and "realistic" (as far as Arthurian fiction goes). The first three books are fantastic, the rest... less so. And he attempts to do an Arthur-reborn-in-modern-times story, but I could barely make it through the book.

    When is Cleopatra 2525 not applicable? ;) (I tried to link to this pic, but apparently can't post images in comments. Bleh.)

    I got all 12 issues of Camelot 3000 off Ebay pretty cheap, only so I could see how they did the Tristan/Isolde thing. It's worth a read if you're into Arthuriana, but yeah. It could use a refresher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't but I've heard of them. My local library is really good at everything except having books I want to read :( But I'll look for both these online and we'll see!

    Good point, Cleopatra 2525 is a generally applicable phenomenon. And we should pitch Kong Arthur to Hollywood (spelling errors FTW!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Camelot 3000 when it first came out, and considered it a must have for the library, but I'd love to see it updated. Some of the stuff you mentioned grated, even in the 80's, even though it was far ahead of its time with the LGBQTetc relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Camelot 3000 when it first came out, and considered it a must have for the library, but I'd love to see it updated. Some of the stuff you mentioned grated, even in the 80's, even though it was far ahead of its time with the LGBQTetc relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anika Have you read Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle? It's good and "realistic" (as far as Arthurian fiction goes). The first three books are fantastic, the rest... less so. And he attempts to do an Arthur-reborn-in-modern-times story, but I could barely make it through the book.

    When is Cleopatra 2525 not applicable? ;) (I tried to link to this pic, but apparently can't post images in comments. Bleh.)

    I got all 12 issues of Camelot 3000 off Ebay pretty cheap, only so I could see how they did the Tristan/Isolde thing. It's worth a read if you're into Arthuriana, but yeah. It could use a refresher.

    ReplyDelete